Designer Tidbits: Ashton Road by Valori Wells


Hi everyone and welcome to the wonderful and colorful world of Valori Wells! Today, she's showing off her newest fabric collection for Robert Kaufman Fabrics, Ashton Road. Read on to learn more about her inspiration and also her new book! 


Q: Tell us about the Ashton Road collection. What were you inspired by?
Valori: I was inspired by my beautiful children, Olivia (9), Violette (7), and Teague (5). They are always in my studio painting, drawing, and playing with fabric. They add so much joy, laughter, and LOVE to my life. I wanted to create a fun - kids collection, but also have prints that can go with anything. The color palette is happy and playful - like a candy picnic with your siblings. It's hard to find good "boy" fabrics that don't scream toddler or baby, so I created these tree houses print (not that my girls don't love them too) that are whimsical and boy-friendly.
Q: What is the best part about being a fabric designer?
Valori: Honestly, doing what I love. Being an artist and getting to share a part of me with others is a great reward and I'm very blessed to have the career that I do. I get to draw, play with color and see all of that hard work come to life in fabric... then cut it up, sew it, and make things!



Q: What is your favorite print from the collection?
Valori: My favorite print from the collection is Rippling Mum (the two-color flower). Turquoise and orchid are my favorite colors of the design but I'm also loving the black and white colorway as well. I love this print! It's simple and graphic and can stand on its own if need be.

Q: Tell us about your new book, My Life in Fabric?
Valori: My new book, My Life in Fabric, is all about the different ways (out of the norm for most quilters) to fill your life with fabric. I was one-and-a-half years old when my mom opened her quilt shop in 1975, and my life has been full of fabric ever since. I love to print on fabric using silk-screening and blocks as well as painting. Layering of images and techniques is very inspiring to me and I wanted to share all of these options of creating your own life in fabric. The book also has several projects with different quilting and sewing methods. I am very proud of this book and thrilled to have the opportunity to share various techniques and inspiration with other fabric lovers!

Labels: ,